recent posts

Monday, June 27, 2011


I noticed when I found out I was pregnant, I was suddenly insanely curious about all my other friend's pregnancies. What did they eat? Where did they get the cute maternity shirt? How do they stay in shape? Are they as tired as I am?

I was even more curious when things went wrong though. If someone got gestational diabetes I would wonder if I was eating too much sugar. When a friend of a friend went into preterm labor at 23 weeks I was curious what caused it. Her baby was barely a pound and survived and I was amazed that that was even possible. But I never thought it would happen to me.

For everyone's curiosity I thought I'd share a little bit about my pregnancy and maybe some things that possibly led up to the my PROM (Premature Rupture of Membranes).

We had just gotten back from traveling to Pennsylvania to visit our families for the holidays. I had no clue that I was pregnant until we got back to Florida and did some calculations to realize just how late I was.

 January 4, 2011 I woke up and took a pregnancy test. I was shocked to see it turn positive! I had Tom read it, just to make sure I wasn't reading it wrong. A blood test later and I was definitely pregnant! By my calculations, I was close to 6 weeks along. The OB clinic at Eglin AFB (where we were stationed at the time) doesn't see patients until at least 10 weeks, so I made an appointment for early February and went about my merry pregnant way. I had very little symptoms at the time and was feeling pretty good. About 2 weeks later though, the nausea and exhaustion hit, and didn't end until I delivered the twins, but you'll have to wait for the delivery story for those lovely details. About the same time I noticed some light spotting. I called my doctor, who said it could be implantation bleeding, but had me come in just in case.

At the appointment, we found out we were having twins! They also found out I had bacterial vaginosis. They gave me some gel to treat the infection with and I was on my way, shocked that there were 2 babies instead of one. I had a follow-up the next week to see how the infection was. It was still not gone so I had another round of the lovely gel, but at that appointment we heard our sweet little babies heartbeats for the first time. They also moved my due date back a week to September 6th based on measurements of the babies.

A few days later I woke up to a lot of blood. Like period blood. It was the end of January, I was only 8-9 weeks pregnant, and I was 100% certain I had lost my babies. We rushed to the ER where we saw 2 beautiful babies and 2 strong heart beats. I was so relieved but still really uncomfortable with the amount of blood. The doctors told me it happened sometimes, that the babies were ok for right now, but they didn't know if I would keep the babies. Luckily, soon after the bleeding stopped. I remember I was almost 10 weeks pregnant, we went to a superbowl party and that was the last time I saw any bleeding. From then on, our pregnancy went great.

Of course, the incidents early on made me incredibly nervous for the rest of the pregnancy. I didn't want to buy any baby things because I didn't want to have them around the house in case anything happened to the babies. But every appointment we had, we were told they looked perfect. We had all kinds of tests and blood work and everything came out normal. One doctor even told me I had a very boring pregnancy.

Baby Boy at 19 weeks.

Baby Girl at 19 weeks.

My main issues for the rest of the pregnancy was nausea and weight gain. I lost about 10lbs my first trimester from being sick so often. There was even an ER visit because I couldn't stop throwing up no matter how hard I tried.I slowly started to gain the weight back. The doctors kept telling me to eat more, but it was hard until about week 18. I was taking zofran daily, but still feeling sick and still vomiting almost every day. Around 18 weeks though the zofran started to actually help and I could finally eat and not vomit daily. If I didn't take the zofran though, things weren't pretty. I started to slowly pack on the pounds and so did the babies.

In February we got orders to move to California and for the hubby to report June 1st. I was a little anxious about the move in the middle of my pregnancy, but I thought it would be early enough that I would have no travel issues and still have a lot of time to get everything ready for the babies. When May rolled around I was cleared by my doctors and told I would be fine to travel, no babies were coming anytime soon, we packed up our lives and it all moved to California. At that time I decided to take a trip up to Pennsylvania to see some family and friends one last time before the babies came. I thought it would work out perfectly because I could stay there and sleep in an actual bed while the hubby got our life situated and got things settled in our house. He slept on the floor for a few days before the moves brought all of our things, and I wouldn't have handled that well at all, so I thought I had the best plan. Obviously, the best plan is made to be ruined.

I never made it to California. The twins didn't make it to California. Here we are, still in Pennsylvania. The hubby is stuck in California. And it's all a big mess, but that's more of the labor and delivery story, which I will tell you all about next.

No comments:

Post a Comment