The first things he says in the morning isn't "Good morning mommy! I love you so much!" Oh no. It's always "Pancakes?"
I wish I was kidding. I'll take a video tomorrow morning.
I think it's safe to say that I can whip up pancakes like the best of them. Whole wheat pancakes that is. I've had a really hard time with gluten free pancakes! I've tried quite a few mixes of flours to get the right fluffy/crispy mix that doesn't taste too much like coconut or almonds...it's harder than you think. I think if you're a professional gluten free person, you probably don't mind the different texture and flavors of the flours, but if you're new to the gluten free world like I am, it's a little tricky. So without spending a fortune on pre-made mix and using the flours I had around the house I decided to try whipping up some holiday pancakes!
Eggnog Pancakes (Gluten and Dairy Free)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews-soaked overnight
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 3 egg yolks + 1 whole egg
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp coconut oil -melted
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch or tapioca starch (or a combo)
- 2 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat griddle to medium-high heat. Grease with coconut oil if needed.
- Take the cashews out of the water they've been soaking in. In a food processor or Vitamix combine all the eggnog ingredients. Blend for a minute or 2 until all ingredients are blended well.
- In large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together
- Carefully pour batter onto griddle. Cook until edges start to look crispy and small bubbles form in the middle then flip. Cook for 1-2 minutes on the other side then remove from griddle.
- Serve and eat immediately with warm maple syrup. Note: gluten free pancakes DO NOT taste good re-heated so they're best to eat right away and not make too much extra.
- Makes approx 8 medium sized pancakes.
Pancakes with just enough holiday flair to make your holiday breakfast festive and delicious. Yum!
The pancake obsessed toddler approves of this recipe. So much so, it took a lot of work to steal these pancakes for a picture without him eating them. True story. Toddlers+recipe developing+photo session=chaos.